Reason for blog

" I Blog4Peace"

on NOV 4th I am involved with "BlogBlast for Peace"

"It isn't enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn't enough to believe in it. One must work at it." - Eleanor Roosevelt



Friday, October 21, 2011

#13/100 Reasons I Blog4Peace/Progressives

 As those of you who have read my blog a few times or know me personal ...I spent a long time in my life defying labels or tags for myself. I have been asked "what are you?" so many times as a young mixed child, it made me very sensitive of liking labels tags etc .  I do remember thinking as a 9 year old child if America was a "melting pot" Why does it matter "What I AM?"


 America has traditionally been referred to as a "melting pot," welcoming people from many different countries, races, and religions, all hoping to find freedom, new opportunities, and a better way of life.
I found this definition of Progressives at Wiki after reading a letter in our local paper that used the word 'Progressives"  to tag (name call) someone they did not care for ...
First here is the letter to the editor that stirred me this morning,  I said after reading this letter  "I read our local paper just to see what kind of political people out there I don't want to be like." LOL I read our editorials just to get my blood boiling I think !This is a man's response to someone that wrote against our sheriff...
 Folks, I am a citizen of Lee County and you sure don’t speak for me, my family, my friends and a great many of my acquaintances! But Progressives often assume power.

We applaud our Sheriff’s change of perspective. We abhor the waste and violence brought upon us by the interloping, law-breaking illegal aliens! We wonder at the motivation of individuals that decry attempts by legislators, law enforcement or general citizens to uphold the law.

There are three things that hold us together as a nation: Language, Borders and Culture — and all are under grave assault due to illegal aliens!

Read more: Sanford Herald
 When I read the last part there I just flipped out ! 
There are three things that hold us together as a nation: Language, Borders and Culture — and all are under grave assault due to illegal aliens! 
  What the heck ?? What happened to Freedom , the Melting Pot ?
okay so that is why I had to learn what Progressives are?


The Progressive Movement began in the late 19th and early 20th centuries in cities with settlement workers and reformers who were interested in helping those facing harsh conditions at home and at work. The reformers spoke out about the need for laws regulating tenement housing and child labor. They also called for better working conditions for women.
The term progressivism emerged in reference to a more general response to the vast changes brought by industrialization: an alternative to the traditional conservative response to social and economic issues and, despite being associated with left-wing politics, to the various more radical streams of communism or anarchism.
Political parties, such as the Progressive Party, organized at the start of the 20th century, and progressivism made great strides under American presidents Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and Lyndon Baines Johnson.[1] 
American progressives tend to support international economics: they advocate progressive taxation and oppose the growing influence of corporations. Progressives are in agreement on an international scale with left-liberalism in that they support organized labor and trade unions, they usually wish to introduce a living wage, and they often support the creation of a universal health care system.


I found an interesting blog called Growing Roots ‘From Below and to the Left’
that had a 7 page letter written by  attorney and historian Staughton Lynd

I enjoyed reading the letter he wrote and learned a great deal!Being a gardener I liked the title too :>) The part that really stuck with me was something he says toward the end of his letter.
LIFE AMONG THE 99 PERCENT
I am running out of time so I will just say this one more thing. 
In the late 1960s it was the thing to do to call police officers "pigs." I objected at the time, and I strongly object now. 


If we wish truly to be the 99 percent, we cannot call each other names. Nurses, teachers, and firemen want to repeal Senate Bill 5, but so do policemen and correctional officers.

Barbara Deming had a good way of putting it. She said: "Nature gives us two hands. With one of them, we must hold up a barrier to those we perceive as oppressors, and say: No further, or only over my body. With the other hand we must reach out to those same persons and say: Join us." 

So am I a Progressive ? I am not ready for that tag either ... I will just keep reading and learning ... in the meantime I will stick with the label/tag I like the most!
 
 May Peace and Blessings be upon You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing...
You can share opinions just don't get ugly .
All negative comments will be deleted .
If you are here to add bad vibes,
You are at the wrong place .
Peace

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...