Reason for blog

" I Blog4Peace"

on NOV 4th I am involved with "BlogBlast for Peace"

"It isn't enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn't enough to believe in it. One must work at it." - Eleanor Roosevelt



Thursday, October 6, 2011

#28/100 Reasons I Blog4Peace / American poverty

Lightest color 0 to 10% , Darkest 30 to 52%

The US has the highest poverty rate among developed countries, according to the Paris-based Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
The poverty line for a US family of four, including two children, is an income of $22,113 (£14,062) a year.
The data showed that children under 18 suffered the highest poverty rate – 22% – compared with adults and the elderly.

American poverty levels hit record high


Numbers grow for a third year, to 15.1%, with 46 million people impoverished – the highest rate since 1993

These facts hit Home for me... I was raised in poverty and haven't lived far from it most my life.  It has been a great part of shaping who I am. I was not in school before I had met homeless people and we were just a step away. I got to know first hand how it feels to be hungry and to Need the simple things of life. 
my mom was the little blonde in front of my Grandma Luizia George
 My Mother was a teenage daughter of a Saint that raised 7 children the very best she could . My Grandma never saw a day away from poverty. Yet to the day she died she gave hope to others. She was not racial or prejudice in anyway . I am mixed , I remember being asked very early in life , before school age! "What are You?" 
She taught me the importance of seeing Who someone was , not What they are.
That is a lesson I learned from her after realizing a big amount of people were not like she was , at a really early age.
Example we lived in Indianapolis , my Mom ,little sister and me in the poorest part of the city. Playing on the sidewalk in front of the apartment building ...  I was around 7 years old when I saw a young boy on a trike making fun of a homeless man looking for food from a trash can. I remember telling him stop... Then I remember saying something like "maybe you should try looking in one"... I picked up an empty can drop it over top of him and preceded to beat the can!  
LOL my poor Mom got confronted by a very angry Mom about double her size telling her what I had done to her son. I told the lady Why I did it and He got spanked ! Justice 
Don't get me wrong I have no blame to my Mom , she did what she could to get by . My Grandma did all she could to help ,but she was just getting by herself . There was Very little support for a poor teenage mother in those days. Or for all the others on or near poverty !
Sadly there isn't enough now almost 50 years later!


 Sesame Street has a history of introducing new characters to help explain difficult social issues to children. For example, four years ago the show created a Muppet specifically to spur conversation around the impact of war and deployments on military families.
This Sunday the much-loved children’s show will do the same, only this time the character will be a y-year-old-fuchsia faced Lily who will talk about what life is like when you don’t know if your family will have enough to eat.
With American poverty ranks swelling, and the numbers especially bad for children, Sesame Street is once again doing a real service to the thousands of children affected by this avoidable tragedy. 
If only we could say the same thing about our members of Congress.




Support Your local Food Banks !
May Peace and Blessing be upon you.

1 comment:

  1. I have two friends, maybe four, who are facing joblessness, monyless-ness in the US today.

    My only hope is that the current depression (because it is way beyond "recession" whatever the media might say) will teach us all that we need to pull together, share more, in order to make the world a better place.

    Love your stories. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing...
You can share opinions just don't get ugly .
All negative comments will be deleted .
If you are here to add bad vibes,
You are at the wrong place .
Peace

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...